This hummus is a THREE layer masterpiece. The bottom layer is the usual yummy garlic hummus. The second layer is a sweet red pepper hummus. And then the top layer is where we get fancy with a spicy jalapeño and cilantro hummus! All layers are just so perfect. And if you happen to get a scoop of all three on your cracker, chip, or carrot? Then you’ve officially made it to sweet & spicy hummus heaven!
- 2 cups raw chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 3 tablespoons raw sesame tahini
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pink himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2-4 large garlic cloves
- 2 large red peppers
- 2 green jalapeño peppers
- juice of 1 large lemon
- About 1 cup of water for blending
Raw chickpeas must be sprouted before blending with all other ingredients.
- Cover dry chickpeas in water and soak them for 12 hours.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas twice a day for the next 2-4 days until they have sprouted “tails”. The tails must be about 1-2cm long and not longer because otherwise they will not be usable!
- Once tails are 1-2cm long, discard any beans that have turned to mush, rotted, or did not sprout at all. Now you are ready to make your raw sprouted hummus!
If you would like to read about why chickpeas must be sprouted before they are used, this is a good article. Just soaking chickpeas without sprouting or worse, using completely raw chickpeas is not something I recommend.
- Place sprouted chickpeas in a high speed blender as well as the following ingredients: tahini, olive oil, salt, cumin, garlic cloves, lemon, and water as needed for blending. Blend until smooth.
- Remove 1/3 of the hummus from your blender and put aside. This is your first layer of hummus!
- Remove another 1/3 of the hummus from your blender and put aside. This will be your jalapeño (top) layer of hummus which we will blend in a moment.
- At this point you should have 1/3 of the regular garlic hummus left in your blender. Add the red bell peppers to your blender and blend until smooth. This is the second layer of your hummus! Remove it from your blender and put it aside for layering later.
- Add in one of your 1/3 mixtures of hummus back into your blender because it is time to make the jalapeño layer! Add in your jalapeños and blend until smooth.
- Now you have THREE layers of sweet & spicy hummus to layer in anyway you wish! Enjoy!