Raw Vegan Creamy Pesto
- 1.5 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 2-4 tablespoons water (for blending)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt (or more)
- 1 garlic clove
- High speed blender (I use a Vitamix)
- Before you begin, soak the cashews for 2 hours in warm water, or ideally, overnight.
- Add the cashews, fresh basil, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt in your high speed blender. Blend for about 1 minute.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil and water, a tablespoon of each at a time while you continue blending for another 1-2 minutes. Ideally, you would like a creamy, easy to pour pesto sauce, but you don’t want it too runny, so be careful with the water.
- That’s it! Enjoy with your favorite “zoodles” (zuchinni noodles), squash noodles (pictured) or literally any other vegan or non-vegan dish. I also like to sprinkle hemp hearts and chopped walnut pieces on top of my savory dish!
If you would like to avoid oil altogether, substitute with water. This recipe will also work with raw walnuts or pine nuts. If you would like to avoid nuts altogether, substitute with pumpkin seeds. Keep your leftovers (if there are any!) in the fridge for up to 7 days; or you can even freeze the leftover pesto for another occasion. Cheers!