Raw Vegan Cheesy Kale Chips
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric root powder
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons water
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Soak the cashews for at least 2 hours in warm water, or ideally, overnight.
- Wash and remove stems and center ribs from your kale leaves with a sharp knife, then coarsely chop until you have 4-5 cups of loosely packed leaves. Wash again and thoroughly dry kale and place into a large mixing bowl. You will be adding in your cheesy sauce into this bowl for mixing later on.
- Wash and chop the red bell pepper and discard or repurpose the seeds inside.
- Place the following ingredients in your high speed blender or processor: raw cashews (drained, do not include the water), chopped red bell pepper, nutritional yeast, sea salt, turmeric powder, apple cider vinegar. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the cheesy mixture on the kale in your large mixing bowl. Mix until all the kale is generously coated with the mixture. Place the kale leaves on dehydrator sheets and spread the kale out (overlapping is even preferred).
- Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 25-35 hours. I would check on your kale every 10 hours to make sure it is dehydrating properly. If still moist on one side, flip it over and dehydrate more. Sometimes dehydrating takes me 25 hours…sometimes 15 and sometimes 35 hours. It just depends on how much you spread out your kale and how much moisture is in the mixture. Remove when the kale chips when perfectly crunchy.
- Keep kale chips in an airtight container in the fridge. This is important! They will keep for 2-3 weeks in the fridge if properly sealed. Enjoy your healthy crunch!